Another Book Under My Belt

I can't tell you how excited I am that Booktrope is going to be publishing Undead Obsessed.  They are the ones who put out The Appeal of Evil, and they are fantastic to work with.


I was a little disappointed that the agent route didn't work out, but I honestly wasn't surprised.  How many books have I queried for?  At least five, and not one of them enticed an agent.  But I'm not letting it get me down.  I can't.  If you think about it, I have quite a lot stacked against me.  I live in Wyoming, I don't have an MFA degree (although I do have my Master's in English), and I write genre.

These may seem like inconsequential things, but when agents want you to have a platform (which is just a fancy way of saying they want lots of people to know/follow you), I'm at a disadvantage.  I'm not near any major cities.  And I'm definitely not near New York.

Having an MFA degree would mean that during my education I would have had access to the publishing industry and famous writers.  Sadly, when I was getting my master's, the university I attended didn't have a formal MFA program.  They do now, but I'll be damned if I'm going to go back to school.  (And yes, I'm well aware that this is a personal choice that could affect my career, but I'm OK with that too.)

Writing genre is really difficult.  For one, there aren't necessarily a lot of agents who represent that genre.  For another, the genre can be so saturated with authors or have greats that still dominate that it's hard for a newbie to break into.

Now, don't get me wrong, new authors with less connections than I have make it big in the publishing world. I have a close friend who landed an agent.  All I'm saying is that I have a lot stacked against me.  But, again, I'm fine with that.  It doesn't bother me.  At least I can say I tried.

In addition, it's not going to stop me from writing.  I've come a long way since 2009 when Coming from Nowhere was published, and I really enjoy creating books.  Just because an agent doesn't want it, that doesn't mean I'm going to stop.


Wow.  I kind of got off on a tangent there for a minute.  Let's get back to Undead Obsessed!

I spent a year writing this book.  In the scheme of things, a year really isn't that long, but it's also really long.  I dedicated a year of my life to this one project.  And I'm damn proud of it.  I've always wanted to write about zombies, but I never knew exactly what I wanted to say.  When the inspiration for this book hit, it just took off.

There were ups and downs along the way, some criticism that cut deep, but in the end, it all contributed to making Undead Obsessed what it is.  And I can't wait to share it with the world.  And I can't thank Booktrope enough for agreeing to help me share it.

As I mentioned yesterday, we are currently looking for reviewers.  You don't have to be a formal reviewer or have a blog, you can be an average reader with a love for zombies and access to Amazon.  A secret group was set up on Facebook, so if you're interested, let us know and we'll add you.  You can download the ARC from there.

I didn't need another reason to enjoy Halloween, but now I really can't wait for it to get here!
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)