The Tempering by Adrianne James


Growing up, Adrianne couldn't get her hands on enough books to satisfy her need for the make believe. If she finished a novel and didn't have a new one ready and waiting for her, she began to create her own tales of magic and wonder. Now, as an adult, books still make up majority of her free time, and now her tales get written down to be shared with the world.

During the day, Adrianne uses her camera to capture life's stories for clients of all ages and at night, after her two children are tucked in bed; she devotes herself to her written work. Adrianne is living the life she always wanted, surrounded by art and beauty, the written word and a loving family.

As a young adult and new adult author, Adrianne James has plans to bring stories of growing characters, a little romance, and perhaps a little magic and mythology down the line for her readers to enjoy.

www.adriannejames.com
www.facebook.com/authoradriannejames
www.twitter.com/Adrianne_james
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6888815.Adrianne_James


The Mythology department at prestigious Harvard University is tiny—and Mackenzie Duncan has just been selected as one of the lucky few. Her love for myths and legends is deep, but she never thought any of it could be real.

After being attacked by a large wolf while walking home alone, Mackenzie realizes something is not right. She heals quickly, has suddenly become super strong, and is experiencing mood swings that can't possibly be normal. The myths she's studying aren't myths at all. Werewolves are real, and she's one of them. Fear of what she is, and who she might hurt sends Mackenzie running from the life she’s worked hard to build–and straight into the arms of a handsome Were named Geoff and into the home of his pack. Living with her new pack takes the edge off her confusion and self-loathing, but the arrival of new pack members changes the dynamic, and tests Geoff and Mackenzie’s growing relationship.

The hardest part of being a werewolf is to have no control and no memory of her time as a bloodthirsty beast. When a moon cycle passes, and she is actually able to remember bits and pieces of the night, she starts to ask questions, and the more questions she asks, the more she realizes she doesn’t like the answers. Can she set aside her own sense of morals to belong to a pack that is like a family or will she leave everything behind yet again in search of a life she can be proud of?


Q) What inspired you to write this story? 
When I get a little plot bunny hopping around in my head, I try and shoo it away. I really do. Mostly because they tend to hop into view when I am full force writing a different story. If I can shoo it away, it means that I wasn’t supposed to write it. When the damn bunny refuses to leave and hops and hops and hops in the middle of your vision for hours on end, keeping you up at night, making you write faster on your current work, it means that he is a persistant little bugger and is the next in line to turn from a cute little fluffy plot bunny into a full fledged novel. He gets to grow up.

The Mackenzie Duncan Series was one such bunny, or should I say three bunnies. The Tempering, the first book in the series, was what everything was based on. I had this idea about a girl being forced to leave everything she knew and worked for behind. I knew that I wanted her to reject the idea, to hate it and loathe her very self and to find a way to accept her new life. I knew that she was going to be a Werewolf. The rest came organically when I started the outlining and Mackenzie took over. The Tempering is a Paranormal Romance, but it has so much more. It isn’t hearts and rainbows the whole time. There are darker scenes, but what else would you expect from a Werewolf?

Q) How long did it take you to write? 
I wrote The Tempering in two months. A writing buddy of mine and I tend to set challenges for ourselves once in a while and we decided that a NaNo style challenge was a good idea. I am proud to say that I completed our personal NaNo style challenge with flying colors, than wrote for another month to finish the book.

If you want to include the time for beta revisions and editor revisions, then I would say it took four months.

Q) What is your favorite thing about writing? 
I love the escape writing provides. I can forget about my own issues and deal with my characters. I get to create in a way that is like no other. I love all kinds of arts and crafts and making something from nothing. I do it with yarn, clay, paint, food. Why would words be any different?

Q) What is your least favorite thing about writing? 
Least favorite thing about writing…hmm. I think I would say the editing process. Like I mentioned before, I have these plot bunnies that want attention. When I have to delay giving them their time to play and grow, they get impatient and so do I. I love writing the stories, giving life to the characters, creating new worlds. But making the words shiny after the story is on paper? Nope. That to me is tedious. I love my editor. She makes my part in the whole process so much simpler and faster. Without her I take MONTHS to actually do the editing.

Q) If you could be any famous person for one day, who would you be and why?
OH! I love this question. If I could be any famous person I think I would be Anna Paquin, Sookie from True Blood. I mean, the woman is the luckiest woman on the planet. Have you seen the number of hot men she gets to work with? But it would have to be on a day where they were shooting some type of scene that gave her access to both a naked Joe Manganiello and Alexander Skarsgard.

Or you know I could go the diplomatic route and choose a woman in a position of power that can change how the world works….which is awesome and all….but how can I turn down a hot naked Vampire and a Hot naked Werewolf?

Q) What is the oldest thing in your fridge and how old is it?
Oh God…um….Probably left overs from two weeks ago. It’s homemade green chili pork enchiladas with Spanish rice (also from scratch) and some pico de gallo (you guessed it, homemade). I love to cook….cleaning out the fridge on the other hand, not so much.

Q) What can readers expect from you in the future?
The Enlightening, Book 2 in The Mackenzie Duncan Series comes out December 6th. After that there will be a contemporary romance or two before I release book three in the series. I have a deep love for paranormal and romance so I think you will be seeing a ton from those two areas from me, both by themselves and put together ;)
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)