Sinister Entity by Hunter Shea‏


Hunter Shea is the author of the novels Sinister Entity, Forest of Shadows Swamp Monster Massacre and Evil Eternal. His stories have appeared in numerous magazines, including Dark Moon Digest, Morpheus Tales and the Cemetery Dance anthology, Shocklines : Fresh Voices in Terror. His obsession with all things horrific has led him to real life exploration of the paranormal, interviews with exorcists and other things that would keep most people awake with the lights on. He lives in New York with his family and vindictive cat. He waits with Biblical patience for the Mets to win a World Series.

You can read about his latest travails and communicate with him at

www.huntershea.com
https://www.facebook.com/huntershea1
https://twitter.com/huntershea1


How can you escape the ghost of yourself?

The Leigh family is terrified. They’ve been haunted by the ghostly image of their young daughter, Selena. But how can that be, when Selena is alive and well, and as frightened as her parents?

With nowhere else to turn, the Leighs place their hopes in Jessica Backman, who has dedicated her life to investigating paranormal activity.

Accompanied by a new partner who claims to be able to speak to the dead, Jessica will soon encounter an entity that scares even her. And a terror far worse than she imagined.



Q) What inspired you to write this story?
I’ve been fascinated with ghosts and the paranormal for as long as I can remember. I’ve even been lucky (or some would say unlucky) enough to have had my own encounters with the strange and unusual. In fact, my family currently lives in a house that is also home to a spirit boy who makes his presence known when my wife is ill. There is no history of children dying in the house or the neighborhood. He’s here and he’s, for now, an unknown.

After I finished my first novel, Forest of Shadows, I wanted to take the character of 6 year old Jessica and see how she would be 13 years after her father was murdered by a vengeful spirit. Would she take on the “family business” of being a ghost hunter? If she did, would she be like her father, who was sensitive, neurotic and riddled with anxiety, or the polar opposite? Both books are about emotionally damaged people and how they focus their lives searching for answers that can only be found beyond the veil of the living. Sinister Entity (and the free story that precedes it, The Graveyard Speaks) is the start of an ongoing exploration of the paranormal with Jessica and how it relates to her own broken heart.

Q) How long did it take you to write?
I worked on Sinister Entity off and on for a little over a year. I had started it just after I struck the deal for Forest of Shadows, but had to put it on hold to polish another manuscript for my publisher. Once I cleared the deck and made it my top priority, the story just poured out of me. I wrote the last 30 pages in a marathon session just after Christmas in 2011. When I was done, I was exhausted, but very satisfied.

Q) What is your favorite thing about writing?
Just letting my mind run free. I’ve been told I have an overactive imagination since I was a kid. Now I get to put it to good use. I’m not big on outlines, so I love just letting the story flow and dictate where it needs to go. I’m always surprised by what I do to characters and plot points. It’s as much fun as it is hard work. If I had a choice between sitting on a tropical beach with a cold beer or sitting in a room writing, I’ll take the room.

Q) What is your least favorite thing about writing?
I used to say it was editing, because I go through quite a few rounds before I say a book is fit for human consumption. But lately, I’m starting to enjoy that, too. The hard part is when you’re midway through a 90,000+ word book and you get that mid-novel drag. You just have to keep pushing, reminding yourself of the writer’s high you get when you type THE END.

Q) If you could be any famous person for one day, who would you be and why?
David Wright, third baseman for the New York Mets. If I couldn’t write (and was younger and more talented), I’d want to be a baseball player. Wright is an amazing athlete playing on my favorite team. Plus, folks call him Captain America, and I’m a huge fan of the comic character. So much so that I have a tattoo of his shield.

Q) What is the oldest thing in your fridge and how old is it?
My wife’s corsage from our wedding. It’s been there for 21 years now. There also may be some year old hot dogs lurking in the back, but I’m too afraid to look.

Q) What can readers expect from you in the future?
A lot! I just signed a deal for a ghost novella based on actual events that may be out later this year, early next. I submitted my next novel to Samhain that is slated to be out next summer. The book is set in Wyoming in 1905 and I basically threw the kitchen sink into that bad boy. There will also be some big news about a couple of other novels that will be out in paperback in the future. And somewhere in the midst of all that, I plan to release a book of short stories. You can watch me bobbing and weaving on my website, www.huntershea.com. Come on by and stay a while!
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)