Movie Review Monday

Brave (2012)

I kind of got roped into going to this movie.  My mom was in town, and she wanted to take the kids (my 2 boys and my niece and nephew).  It was my first day of work, so all I wanted to do was go home and rest.  Well, my sister decided she wasn't going to go to the movie, and my mom didn't want all four kids by herself, so I bit the bullet.  I didn't think I was going to make it through the film.  I was struggling to stay awake during the previews.  Luckily for me, there was enough action that I made it through.

I really like Disney films.  Even though most of them are stereotypical and predictable, there is something comforting in the traditional stories they tell.  They transport me back to my childhood and innocence, but they also appeal to my adult sensibilities.  It amazes me how they find that balance for that.  It also amazes me how much animation has developed over the years.  We didn't even see the movie in 3D and the graphics were outstanding.

Anyway, Brave is the story of Merida, a Scottish princess who has come of age and must decide who to marry.  Her mother has been teaching her since she was little the proper ways to act as a princess, while her father has encouraged her free spirit.  When it comes down to it, Merida doesn't want to decide, so she stumbles upon a witch and asks for a potion to change her mother and her fate.

Well, as you can imagine, the "change" doesn't happen as Merida plans, and her mom is transformed into a bear.  That's where the journey begins to make things right.

I really didn't know what to expect from this film.  The previews didn't give a lot away.  I was somewhat surprised with the story, but I also felt like I was watching a rehash of Brother Bear.  As you can imagine, it wasn't exactly the same, but even my mom mentioned she felt like there were similarities between the two movies.  (Technically, you could probably say there are similarities between all Disney movies, but that's splitting hairs.)

That being said, I still enjoyed this film.  As is typical of Disney films, the soundtrack was fantastic.  The story was predictable, but there were also some twists in it.  I don't want to ruin the movie, so I'm not going to say what they are.  If you are a fan of Disney, I'd recommend this film.  As I mentioned on Friday, the bad guy was a little scary, so if your kids are young or sensitive, it might not be the best for them.
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)