Tough Question Tuesday

How important is it to know what an author looks like?

I'm generally curious to know what the person behind the words looks like, and I form an image in my head of who I think that person is. Usually, I'm way off base. But knowing what someone looks like and enjoying their work are two different things.

When I first started getting published, I was pregnant with my first child. I decided to go with a pen name so I could be found online and so I could have a bit of anonymity. As my career progresses, I find myself doing more and more public appearances, and being faceless is no longer an option. However, the last hold out I've had publishing my picture has been online. (Although, if you know Jerrod Brown, you'll see me with my book and his painting.)

So, I'm wondering: how long can I keep my image out of the limelight, and is it hurting me by doing that?
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)