Movie Review Monday

Superman/Batman: Public Enemies (2009)



When I was a senior in high school, I got really into graphic novels/comics. Specifically, Alien, Predator, and Alien vs. Predator comics. It was a short-lived fascination, mainly because I ran out of time, and the most recent graphic novel I've read is Watchmen (which I loved!). Apparently, I should have been reading superhero comics. I absolutely LOVE these cartoons.



The story focuses on what the world would be like if Lex Luthor became President of the U.S. Everyone seems to believe that he has really changed, except for Superman. He doesn't think Lex will ever change. And, of course, he doesn't. He's still as evil as he's ever been.



Batman and Superman become public enemies because they refuse to be controlled by Lex, even though he is the president. To keep Superman out of his hair, Lex creates an eloborate set up that makes it look like Superman is attacking him, then shows it to the public. Batman becomes a fugitive because he helped.



With these two on the run, and with a huge reward offered by President Lex, it brings all kinds of criminals out of the wood work to try and stop them. Some of the villians I'd never even heard of, but I'm sure I would've known who they were if I read the comics. But it's not only villians that are hunting them, but the good guys as well. Since they fight for justice, freedom, and the American way, they take their orders from the President. See where this is going yet?



The film was wonderful because it was simple enough for my 3 year old to follow (and you know how much he loves Batman right now), yet had enough layers to keep me entertained. I love how the film juxtaposes Batman and Superman, the light and the dark, but they are both fighting for good. It is just so interesting to watch how they interact with one another and the differing styles when it comes to fighting crime (I really liked that aspect in Batman/Superman: Apocalypse too).



There were also a bunch of heroes that I didn't even know existed. I know I'm very naive when it comes to heroes because I haven't read any comics, and it makes me want to find out more. I'm gonna have to start checking out more superheroes. Like my 3 year old, I'm pretty enamoured with them right now.
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)