When does the querying process become an act of desperation? For me I think it's five minutes after I finish my project. I get all panicky and freak out about writing a letter and synopsis that I break out into a sweat. It isn't until I get my first rejection that I calm down (sort of). Even then, I still find myself getting frustrated and depressed because I feel like no one will ever pick up my work and that I'm not good enough as a writer. It's at this stage that I become most vulnerable to scams and less-than-reputable agents/publishers. Luckily, I've never sent any money to any of these agencies or actually had them look at my manuscript, but it's bothersome that I fall into their trap. Is it really that important that I get my book published? Recently, I've come to the conclusion that no, it's not that important. I'm still young, I have plenty of time on my hands, and eventually someone somewhere will like my work. Some days are easier than others living with my new-found optimism, but I just try and keep myself busy.

By the way, I received two rejections in two days.
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)